Spice and K2 products are generally marketed as “herbal incense” and contain herbs such as flowers and tobacco, which are laced with the chemicals that make the drug so potent and dangerous. The chemicals work in much the same way as marijuana, triggering cannabinoid receptors in the brain. Unlike marijuana, K2 and Spice have not been tested for human consumption, which makes them unsafe and the true nature of the effects unknown. What is known is that the chemicals in spice and K2 bind much more forcefully to cannabinoid receptors than THC in marijuana does, making them more habit-forming and causing an increase in negative effects.
Many people assume that K2 and spice products are safe to use, but they are mistaken, it is highly addictive.
Typical signs of dependence include:
- Increased anxiety, depression, or sudden mood swings
- Reduced mental alertness
- Loss of short term memory or ability to concentrate
- Withdrawal from relationships with family or friends
- Lack of motivation and/or focus at work or school
- Inability to refrain from using Spice