Simple Recovery Recipes for Health Diet
Baked Apple: core out the middle of the apple, place one teaspoon of margarine in the apple, bake for about 30 minutes, sprinkle with cinnamon
Baked Kale: place fresh Kale on a cooking dish, place in a heated oven for no more than 3-5 minutes, drizzle olive oil after removing from the oven
Fresh fruit water: Everyday place a large water jug in the refrigerator with a cut up fruit in it, wait at least 24 hours for the water to have a nice refreshing fruity taste! ***you can also do this in individual water bottles
Smoothie: This is great for quick breakfast along with a protein/breakfast bar of 150 kcal or more and at least 7 g protein or a night time snack along with a bowl of popcorn! The unique feature of this recipe, you can make a different version each time.
- 4 – 6 oz. of any flavor Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of any fresh fruit
- 1 Tablespoon of dry milk powder
- 1-3 oz juice or skim milk for liquefying
- 1 teaspoon Flax seed
Make your own trail mix: This is great for a midafternoon or night time snack. The unique feature of this recipe, you can make a different version each time.
In a big bowl, mix together:
- 20 oz. Original Fiber One Cereal
- 20 oz. any cereal [your choice]
- 1/2 cup of raisins, craisins, any flavor raisins including yogurt raisins
- 3/4 cup of any type of nut
- 1 cup of pretzels, some people like to take a breakfast bar and break it up and mix it into the trail mix.
Mix it together and scoop into a quart size baggie filled 3/4 of the way. This recipe will make about 6-10 baggies, depending on the size nut, pretzels and cereal you use.
Barbara Truitt is Dietician at Our Place Recovery