10 Ways To Combat Depression Holistically
It is not uncommon for someone to experience symptoms of depression a few times throughout their lives. If you are in active addiction (or early recovery) then it might be more prevalent. What matters most is what to look out for and know how to treat these symptoms before things take a downward spiral towards physical harm, addiction, or something worse.
Here are a several signs that you or someone you care about is suffering with depression.
• An overwhelming sense of sadness.
• Loss of concentration and interest.
• On-going negative thoughts and comments.
• Excessive drinking or use of drugs.
• Aggression or reckless behavior.
• Too little or too much sleep.
• Little to no motivation or enthusiasm.
• Extreme changes in appetite.
• Suicidal thoughts or remarks.
Depression is not something to ever feel ashamed of. It affects millions of people who have managed to overcome the symptoms and go on to live a happy and healthy life. Here are 10 ways to overcome the dark dreary symptoms of depression.
1. Connect with friends and family who help motivate and support you in a positive way.
2. Get 8 hours of sleep.
3. Drink plenty of water.
5. Eat healthy.
6. Avoid drugs, alcohol or over-medicating.
7. Add lighting and spruce up your living space.
8. Journal your thoughts, ideas, and day-to-day experiences.
9. Watch feel-good or funny movies.
10. Change up your worn out routine.
That being said, always contact your doctor and have them do a full physical exam and assessment.